Just in case anyone missed the e-mail earlier, here are the materials to be read before the workshop Tuesday.
Readings for Solid Humor = Solid Writing
Tuesday, January 7
1. Sensei, by Simon Rich
2. My Nature Documentary, by Jack Handey
3. Big Boy, by David Sedaris
4. The Barber’s Unhappiness (first four pages), by George Saunders
Things to consider while reading these:
• How does each author establish their voice? (Word choice, point of view, diction, syntax, associations, organization, approach, etc.)
• More specifically, what is the impact of the narrator’s point of view?
• Where is the humor coming from? What is funny (at least to some people) about these works? Why are they funny?
Also be sure to bring in about two pages of your own prose that is NOT intended to be humorous.